Sunday, September 16, 2012


Feeling Inadequate SUCKS...


I meet so many people that are gifted, talented and smart beyond their awareness. Most of them don’t even see their gifts!  I believe they are not aware of them for many reasons, but here are just a few of my thoughts...
1. Growing up as a kid they never heard, "Good job!", "You're so good at that!", "Wow, who taught you how to do that?". It's more common for us to hear all the things that we've done wrong and not enough of the things we do that are right.
2. Maybe when they were kids they were picked on for being different, so they chose to be like everyone else to avoid the negative comments.
3. As adults, I just don't believe we spend enough time by our self getting to know who we really are to our core. We are all busy taking care of the kids, spouses, working and making sure we have food on the table.

While taking care of the kids, our spouses and making sure there is food on the table and roofs over our heads is very important, it’s also very important to get to know the YOU you’re with everyday. I’ve never flown in an airplane but I’ve heard that one of the safety rules is that, in case of an emergency, you have to put the air mask on YOUrself before you can help others. That goes for life as well. If we are taking care of everyone else and not taking care of ourselves first, it’s no wonder we feel inadequate.

I remember many years ago, about fifteen years ago, I felt like I had no purpose here on earth. I emailed one of my best friends at the time and was almost crying to him about how I was feeling. He sent me an email back that I have NEVER forgotten. It read,
“Angel, there is a purpose for you on this earth, there is a purpose for all of us on this earth. It’s up to us to find it though…” Then he listed all my siblings, he said, “ There’s
1. Gary
2. Norman
3. April
4. Angel, out of all of your siblings you got the most prestige name of them all…you’ll find your purpose, ANGEL!”

I will never forget that email from him, never!

I actually looked the word angel up in the dictionary, and I got so excited and I have never looked back, never! Now, don’t get me wrong, there are still times when I can feel inadequate, but I bounce back a lot sooner than I used to.

I know the feeling of inadequacy. After failing the ninth grade three times, getting pregnant at the age of eighteen, being on welfare and living in public assistance housing for years did not add to my confidence! I know the feeling of wanting to move forward with my dreams but not feeling like I know enough. Thinking to myself, maybe I need to read another book, or go to another workshop, or think about this a little bit longer…

What I want you to know is that YOU have enough information in you right now to help other people. Stop waiting until you feel smart enough to get that  .com  for your business or setting up your blog and blogging about the things that you are passionate about. You are enough right now! You know enough right now! People want to hear your take on the issue right now! You don’t need to read another book or take another class. As a matter of fact, don’t wait until you feel adequate enough to take control of your life and start making the moves you truly desire. Know deep down inside that the feelings of inadequacy are straight from the pits of hell! The mere fact that you have the idea, the passion, and the dream is a clear indication that it’s your time to make a move!







This is what I want you to know and DO…

1. Write down the things you are good at.

2. After knowing what you’re good at…be yourself, people will LOVE and ADMIRE you for it!


3. Think HAPPY THOUGHTS about YOURself! Stop looking in the mirror saying mean and ugly things about YOURself!


4. Believe in YOUrself!


5. Know that you are MORE than enough!


6. Still feeling inadequate? Remember: it’s a feeling not a fact!


7. And most important, always remember…










No comments:

Post a Comment